Monday, January 3, 2011

Finding Yourself and the Love You Want

Does this happen to you? Sometimes when I’m feeling down, I’ll just pick up a random book and start to read and for some reason regardless of where I start in the book, it seems as if the words were meant for me. Tonight, I was feeling a little down and decided to pick up a book that’s been sitting on my bookshelf for a long while. I started skimming and then just decided to read from a random page. I love the way the words spoke to me and provided me with some clarity and insight.


Here are a few excerpts of what I read today in Iyanla Vanzant's
In the Meantime - Finding Yourself and the Love You Want ...

“When you are not happy where you are and you are not quite sure if you want to leave or how to leave, you are in the meantime. It’s a state of limbo. You are hanging on, ready to let go, afraid to fall, not wanting to hurt yourself, afraid you will hurt someone else... I can tell you the meantime is fraught with don’t knows and cant dos. Don’t know why I can’t go. Don’t know why I should stay. Don’t know where I’m going. Don’t know how I am going to get there, wherever there is. Ambivalence, confusion, reluctance, and paralysis are all characteristics of the meantime” (24).

“We go into a relationship looking for love, not realizing that we must bring love with us. We must bring a strong sense of self and purpose into a relationship. We must bring a sense of value, of who we are. We must bring an excitement about ourselves, our lives and the vision we have for these two essential elements. We must bring a respect for wealth and abundance. Having achieved it to some satisfactory degree on our own, we must move into relationships willing to share what we have, rather than being afraid of someone taking it” (27).


“People cannot fulfill your needs. They may want to, they may try to. They convince you that they can, but they cannot. What people can do for one another is make the need seem less urgent. We distract one another so that we forget, temporarily, what we need. We help one another replace a pressing need with something else. In the meantime, the need does not disappear. It dissipates”(29).

I can't wait to continue reading ... I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment