Saturday, June 19, 2010

Interracial Dating

On Monday, I was having a girls club meeting with my students and we started talking about young black fathers and how it seems as if every time we see a young black man pushing a stroller, the baby inside is biracial. We couldn't help but ask "are black men stepping up to the plate more with white women than with black women?"

Today, I was out with my mom and as we were walking into the mall, we spotted an interracial couple, a white man and a black woman. My mother turned to me and said "what's with these white men dating black women". My response was "it's about time black women realize that they just might have to look outside the race for a good man". Our conversation ended there.

About thirty minutes ago, I checked my facebook inbox and read a message from my cousin that read "I enjoyed this (video clip) and thought it would be a good topic for your blog, interracial couples black men and white women (successful black men and white women) and then the new epidemic of educated black women and white men."

As you can see interracial dating is a topic that is widely discussed amongst black women. I think most black women would agree with Jill Scott when she says she feels a sting or her soul burns when she sees a black man with a white woman.



To read Jill Scott's Essence article, go to
http://www.essence.com/relationships/commentary_3/commentary_jill_scott_talks_interracial.php

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with being racist and has a lot to do with feelings of fear, pain and inadequacy. What message does it send us black women when after years of waiting for a good black man and not being able to find one, we have to watch the seemingly good ones marry white women?

I could write an explanation here and I will in the near future, but first I really liked to hear some of you answer the two questions below:

Why does it seem like once black men achieve a certain amount of success they cross the colour line and marry white women?

AND

Are educated and successful black women beginning to do the same thing that we once complained about, have some of us given up on black-on-black love?

No comments:

Post a Comment